NYSPHA Internship Opportunities
To apply, please complete an internship application. Interns will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
We accept applications for interns on a rolling basis. These positions are 10-20 hours/week. A master's degree candidate is preferred but undergraduate students entering the field of public health will also be considered. These positions will work remotely with occasional in-person events.
- Public Health Event Planning & Communication Intern - working directly with the Executive Director and Director of Member Outreach and Communication to plan the annual Public Health Partnership Conference; develop communications for membership, public health e-news and website. Student receives a 1 year NYSPHA membership. 20 hours per week. Available Fall and Spring semesters.
- Policy & Advocacy Intern- Serve on the NYSPHA Policy & Advocacy Committee; create policy memos, policy statements and update website for public health advocacy; work directly with board members/committee to plan an annual public health day of action; advocate for public health bills and funding. Student receives a 1 year NYSPHA membership. 10-20 hours per week. Available Fall and Spring semesters.
- Membership Outreach Intern- Serve on the Membership and Communication Committee; work with Committee and NYSPHA staff on outreach to colleges, universities and student members to assist with student/career development offerings; analysis of membership, which may include surveying, review of data and member outreach; spotlighting members of the month on website and e-news; implementation of member engagement plan; social media postings; and develop communications for members to engage and retain memberships. Student receives a 1 year NYSPHA membership. 10-20 hours per week. Available Summer, Fall and Spring semesters.
- Poster Session Organizer* (Spring semester only)
- Event Accessibility Organizer* (Spring semester only)
- Event Logistics Coordinator* (Spring semester only)
Continuing Education Coordinator* (Spring semester only)
Read more about these positions below:
Each spring semester, NYSPHA is seeks MPH graduate students to fill several temporary internship positions. These positions will be focused on several components of the Public Health Partnership Conference, which is being held last April/Early May.
The student will have the opportunity to work with the leadership team of the New York State Public Health Association as well as partners at the NYS Association of County Health Officials and New York State Association for Rural Health to work as a team to organize the logistics of this event.
All opportunities are available immediately and conclude at the end of the event, unless otherwise noted. Each student will be given a free registration to the event.
Poster Session Organizer
Both a professional poster session and a student poster session will be presented at this year’s event, all virtually. The student poster session organizer will be responsible for the following:
- Serve on student poster review committee
- Communicate with poster session presenters to organize logistics
- Enter poster presenters into virtual system
- Assist poster presenters with uploads, videos and chat feature
- Serve as the point person for poster session presenters
- Facilitate the poster sessions at the event (12-2 PM April 29th and 30th) and assist with attendee participation.
Event Accessibility Organizer
We seek to make this event as accessible and user-friendly to everyone as possible. The event accessibility organizer will be responsible for the following:
- Ensuring the technology is in place to provide closed captioning in English for attendees
- Seek ways to provide Spanish language translation for sessions
- Explore ways that those living with hearing difficulties can participate
- Develop marketing materials and find ways to promote the event to those needing accommodations.
Event Logistics Coordinator
This conference is the largest public health conference held in NYS annually and is celebrating NYSPHA’s 70th Annual Meeting. The event logistics coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Working closely with the Executive Directors and designated staff of the partnering agencies to ensure logistics of the conference (everything from speaker presentations to attendee logins) is accurate, working and up-to-date
- Develop marketing methods/materials to publicize the conference including outreach to students, public health professionals and social media networks
- This position will work with the Events Planning Committee to ensure a smooth virtual event, including use of technology.
Continuing Education Coordinator*
The conference will provide continuing education credit hours for Certified in Public Health (CPH) and Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES). The continuing education coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting NYSPHA’s Project Coordinator with organizing continuing education credit hours for sessions
- Assisting with continuing education credit hour awarding for public health webinars during March and April
- Tracking attendance in virtual event system for credit hours
- Ensuring attendees complete event evaluations
- Issuing certificates of attendance for participants
- Producing reports for accrediting agencies.
*Note: The majority of responsibilities for this position will take place during and immediately after the event but has the ability to be longer term, if desired.
-Please Note: All internships are unpaid-
Network with a diverse group of public health leaders
Complimentary 1-year membership to NYSPHA
Complimentary registration to attend NYSPHA's Annual Conference and Meeting
Preference is given to students located in New York
Potential Internship Projects:
- Assist NYSPHA with logistics of planning for annual public health conference
- Assist in development of public health e-news for NYSPHA members, community and/or legislators
- Manage organization's social media channels to promote public health messaging
- Organizing advocacy day & participation in Policy & Advocacy Committee
- Assist in coordinating fall public health workshop
- Plan and implement events for National Public Health Week (April)
- Write, edit, submit stories/press release/letters on affiliate activities to The Nation's Health newspaper and/or other news outlets
- Participate in Membership Committee activities including College Chapter development
- Potential for grant writing
Student’s Role in Project:
- Assisting Executive Director and President by following business plan action steps and activities to meet expected outcomes. Student will have the opportunity to design public health newsletters and/or news blasts, organize and design public health workshops/conference; serve on Advocacy and Membership Committees; Plan public health outreach activities for National Public Health Week and via social media
Expected Student Outcomes and Deliverables:
- Student will learn process of planning large conferences/meetings, organizing public health professionals and determine public health topics of interest for professionals; will learn strategies for cooperation and implementation of public health approaches to make changes in community regarding healthy eating/obesity/physical activity; and student will build networks with other public health professionals and organizations to further expand their knowledge of opportunities and activities taking place in New York state.
Project Duration and Scheduling Considerations:
- Available for the start of each semester. May start earlier/extend longer as necessary. Flexible schedule available, as long as student maintains good contact/communication with mentor(s).
- Student must be enrolled in a public health, community health or related degree program. A minor in such programs will also be considered.
- Undergraduate students will be considered but preference will be given to students enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Please contact us with questions about these opportunities.
As internships arise through both NYSPHA and our members, they will be emailed to all NYSPHA members and posted in the member section of our website. Please consider joining NYSPHA at the student rate of $25 for access to these announcements, discounts at our events, free webinars and more!