The New York State Public Health Association's Board of Directors is comprised of fifteen elected positions of public health professionals from around New York State. Board members include academic professors, health educators and administrators and community agency executive directors as well as a public health student representative.
Nominations to the Board of Directors are accepted yearlong. Vacant positions are filled as needed and other positions are elected at the Annual Meeting (typically held in April) and take office on July 1.
Board members are expected to participate in 75 percent of Board meetings/calls and to actively participate in at least one committee. Current committees include membership, event planning and advocacy.
Qualifications for board membership include:
- Public health work experience or current public/community health or medical graduate student
- A current NYSPHA membership in good standing (join HERE)
- A vested interest in improving the health of New Yorkers
- Ability to commit a minimum of one hour a week to the organization
Responsibilities of the Board of Directors:
*NYSPHA Directors are expected to participate in at least 75% of Board and committee meetings. Time commitments of Board Members are estimated at approximately 2 to 3 hours per month while officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary) and Committee Chairs may contribute more time.
- Create and promote plans and services for the advancement of NYSPHA’s mission;
- Develop and adhere to NYSPHA’s policies;
- Oversee NYSPHA’s affairs on a continuing basis to ensure that its operations and programs are occurring as planned and are effective;
- Review the annual budget proposed by the Treasurer, modifying it as needed, and adopting it prior to the start of each calendar year;
- Participate in monthly BOD conference calls for up to 1 hour and 2 face-to-face BOD meetings per year;*
- Participate on at least one NYSPHA committee which usually meet once per month in order to implement NYSPHA’s plans;
- Make a financial donation to NYSPHA each year at whatever level is comfortable;
- Be ambassadors of NYSPHA to encourage membership and promote involvement.
How to apply:
- Applications are accepted year round
- Please complete the form below
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions